Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Hume, CAMP and Urb @ the Red Room (9/22/12)

 
This show caught my attention initially because it gave me the chance to see two groups unknown to me and the local band Shades, whom I haven't seen in I don't know how long.  Then, as an extra bonus, the Twin Falls/Boise band CAMP got added to the bill.  Yeah, I needed to work at seven the next morning, but a show like this promised to be worth a little sleep deprivation.
 
 
I left the house a little late due to some catch-up work for this blog, but I figured I'd have plenty of time before the show began.  Imagine my surprise when I got to the Red Room and found that the opener had already started.  What is this world coming to?  Anyway, I saw a respectable enough 30-plus people there when I arrived.
 
 
Local band Urb played first.  I liked well enough what I caught of their set--steady drumming, gliding basslines, searing guitar.  A little stiff-jointed and maybe a little reminiscent of Stargaze Unlimited, but worth keeping tabs on.


CAMP took the stage after Urb.  Aside from a couple of issues with Cameron Andreas's pedals (which kinda fit in with the overall sound anyway), their scorching guitar, their smooth, nimble basslines and their malleable drumming all sounded in fine form.  Adding to the music's power was a trippy projection show courtesy of the gentlemen at antimagic.  The beginning of a beautiful friendship, I hope.


After CAMP came Hume.  Between their serene bass, their mind-bending waves of guitar distortion and their seismic dual drumming, this Baltimore-based band had the crowd in its thrall.  When combined with antimagic's dazzling montages, the effect was simply overpowering.  Definitely worth keeping tabs on this group.

Unfortunately, I had to leave before Shades played.  I can handle a little sleep deprivation, but the voices start talking a little too loudly when I don't get at least four hours of shut-eye.  Oh well.  I'll get to see them soon, I'm sure.

You can find info on these groups on Facebook and elsewhere online.  Special thanks to Eric Gilbert and Duck Club Presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment