Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Mostly Muff @ the VaC (2/16/13)


To be honest, I hadn't planned to write about this show.  I'd wanted to check out a couple of other places this night, so I figured I'd just swing by, have a beer, donate some cash, listen to a few songs and roll out.  I still took my camera along, though.  Thought I might take a couple pictures, post 'em on HCTD's Facebook page later.

I listened to A Bigger Bang by the Rolling Stones as I drove down to the VaC.  Didn't care much for that album when it came out, but it's grown on me over the years.  Mick Jagger may be a money-grubbing old lecher, I thought, but the man can write a song.  And ah, Charlie Watts.  How do I love thee?  Let me count the ways...


As soon as Rachel Preminger banged out the first two chords, a grin broke out on my face.  I didn't need to see the iconic lips and tongue materialize on the screen to recognize the intro to "Start Me Up."  The band powered through that song and then launched into "Paint It Black."  Sure enough, Mostly Muff had chosen this year to cover my second favorite band of all time.  I had no choice then; I broke out the camera and the notepad and got to work.  A few highlights of the show:


The montage of 60's riots that played during "Sympathy for the Devil."  Included images of Mick Jagger's arrest and mugshot.  That was an especially witty touch, I thought.  Ivy Meissner did quite well on lead vocals too.


Rachel Preminger's (far left) neat little fills on "Beast of Burden."  In fact, Preminger's whole Keef look--tousled hair, untucked and unbuttoned white shirt with rolled up sleeves, leather pants--was pretty snazzy.


Sam Stimpert sinking his teeth into the mock-lothario passage of "Emotional Rescue."


Andy Rayborn stepping into the Bobby Keys role.


Gia Trotter duetting with her sister Tristan on "Wild Horses."


Lisa Simpson wailing about rape and murder on "Gimme Shelter."


Annie Berical, Karen Singletary, Stephanie Coyle, Lori Shandro and others serving as the choir on "You Can't Always Get What You Want."


The crowd--which didn't quite include every person who's attended a Finn Riggins/Le Fleur/VaC show in the past few months--whooped, cheered, danced and sent out good vibes in general for the entire set.  The perverse ironist in me kinda wishes that Mostly Muff had played some of the Stones' more risque material ("Rocks Off," "Some Girls," "Starfucker"), but hey, you can't always get what you want.  (Sorry, couldn't resist.)


You can find info on Mostly Muff on Facebook and elsewhere online.  Proceeds from this show went to benefit Boise Bully Breed Rescue, which works to find homes for bully breed dogs in Idaho shelters.  To learn more about this organization, go to http://www.boisebullybreedrescue.com.

(Correction: I wrote originally that Lisa Simpson played the intro to "Start Me Up."  Actually, Rachel Preminger did.  Sorry, Rachel.)

3 comments:

  1. Rachel actually played those first two cords

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw that. Sorry about that. Got it corrected.

      Delete
  2. Good blog, Ben! I didn't know you were such a Stones fan. Really interesting details.

    ReplyDelete